Advertise with Aurax News — Reach a Global Audience Today.
By Aurax Desk | May 24, 2026 | 2 min read
Iran’s national football team will base itself in Mexico instead of the United States during the 2026 FIFA World Cup after FIFA approved a request to relocate the squad’s training camp. The decision comes amid ongoing security concerns, visa complications and tensions linked to the conflict involving Iran, the United States and Israel.
Iran’s national football team trains ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup after relocating its base camp to Mexico.
The Iranian football federation said the team’s base camp will move from Tucson, Arizona, to Tijuana, Mexico, following discussions with FIFA officials in Istanbul and Tehran. Federation president Mehdi Taj said the change would help ease travel and logistical concerns ahead of the tournament, which will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19.
Iran had previously expressed uncertainty about traveling to the United States following months of regional conflict and heightened diplomatic tensions. Questions surrounding visas, security arrangements and the treatment of Iranian players and officials became a growing issue after military strikes earlier this year intensified instability in the Middle East. FIFA had earlier rejected requests to move Iran’s scheduled matches from the United States to Mexico, but later approved the relocation of the team’s training base.
The team is expected to stay in Tijuana, near the U.S.-Mexico border, while traveling to matches in Los Angeles and Seattle during the group stage. Iran will open the tournament against New Zealand before facing Belgium and Egypt in Group G. Officials said the Mexican location offers shorter travel times and fewer complications for transportation and entry procedures.
Iran qualified for its fourth consecutive World Cup appearance and seventh overall but has never advanced beyond the group stage. The preparations for the tournament have unfolded against a backdrop of geopolitical tensions rarely seen in modern World Cup history, with FIFA continuing efforts to ensure all qualified nations participate despite diplomatic disputes and regional security concerns.
Sources: Associated Press, Reuters, BBC Sport, Fox News, Citizen Digital, The Guardian, Al Jazeera.