Advertise with Aurax News — Reach a Global Audience Today.
By Aurax Desk | May 24, 2026 | 2 min read
Police in Trinidad and Tobago have charged the stepfather of missing two-year-old Angelo Tobias-Plaza with murder nearly two weeks after the child’s disappearance triggered a massive search operation across Tobago. The case has drawn national attention and renewed concern over child protection and violent crime.
Stepfather of missing two-year-old Angelo Tobias-Plaza, charged with murder
Police said 24-year-old Shannon Miller of Goodwood, Tobago, was formally charged following legal advice from a specialist adviser attached to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Angelo was reported missing on May 11 from a home near Cambridge Trace in Goodwood, prompting an extensive land and sea search involving police officers, the Tobago Emergency Management Agency and volunteer rescue groups.
Investigators later shifted the case from a missing persons inquiry to a homicide investigation as authorities examined electronic devices, surveillance footage and statements from several individuals taken into custody. Police said search operations expanded to multiple locations across Tobago, including beaches, forested areas and the Studley Park landfill, but the child’s body has not been recovered.
The investigation intensified after surveillance footage reportedly contradicted earlier accounts surrounding the child’s disappearance. Authorities have continued questioning relatives and associates connected to the case while maintaining a visible police presence in the Goodwood community. Public vigils and prayer gatherings have also been held by residents demanding justice for the child and answers about what happened.
The case has sparked widespread emotional reaction across Trinidad and Tobago, with community groups, public officials and residents expressing concern over violence involving children. Homeland Security Minister Roger Alexander said search teams previously believed they may have spotted the child’s body in waters off Tobago but were unable to recover it. Police said investigations remain ongoing as authorities continue efforts to locate the toddler’s remains.
Sources: Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, Trinidad Express, WIC News, CNC3.