Advertise with Aurax News — Reach a Global Audience Today.
By Aurax Desk | May 22, 2026 | 4 min read
Commissioner of Police Allister Guevarro outlines major investigations — from the search for 2-year-old Angelo Tobias and the San Fernando arms heist to the Joshua Samaroo case and a spike in deadly home invasions — while warning that social media leaks are derailing critical police work.
Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro during TTPS media briefing.
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad and Tobago — Police Commissioner Allister Guevarro on Thursday delivered a wide-ranging briefing on several high-profile investigations, including a missing toddler in Tobago, a deadly arms heist in San Fernando, the Joshua Samaroo case and a string of violent home invasions.
Guevarro said he called the briefing because of “significant public interest” and his commitment to accountability.
The most emotional update concerned 2-year-old Angelo Tobias - Plaza, reported missing in Tobago on May 11 by 22-year-old Khalifa Tobias his mother.
Police, family and neighbors launched immediate searches, soon joined by the Tobago Emergency Management Agency, fire services, hunters and villagers. Despite the massive effort, there were no initial results.
Guevarro said crucial CCTV footage obtained by police was later leaked online, triggering a flood of speculation and false leads.
“When you share evidence with the police, and you later turn around and share that evidence with persons on social media, whose goal is not journalism but rather sensationalism, you effectively compromise the police investigation,” he said, adding that officers were sent on a “wild goose chase” that pulled resources from planned operations.
He said more evidence has since been obtained, several people detained and interviewed, and the search has shifted to Tobago’s coastline in what he described as an operation aimed at recovering a body and bringing closure.
San Fernando Municipal Police Station at Queen’s Wharf, San Fernando
Guevarro also updated the San Fernando Municipal Police Station probe, where Acting Cpl. Anoushka Eversleigh was killed on April 19 and a large cache of weapons and ammunition stolen. A multi-agency operation has led to the arrest and charging of Javon Cooper, Kwame Annal and Nicholas Ramdath for homicide and related offenses.
“So far, we have recovered 38 pistols, four shotguns, one MPX submachine gun, one revolver and 900 rounds of ammunition,” Guevarro said, mostly in the Claxton Bay area. A fourth suspect is believed to have fled the country, and an Interpol red notice has been issued. A significant number of firearms remain missing.
The commissioner said misinformation has dogged that case as well, including a social media post falsely implying that a municipal police vehicle pictured outside the station was used in the heist.
Across cases, Guevarro condemned the online circulation of active evidence and the rebranding of official TTPS photos. “When you’re looking to get what I would call click likes on social media, please do not do it at the expense of the investigation,” he said.
On the Joshua Samaroo matter, Guevarro said final forensic reports have been received and the Director of Public Prosecutions has instructed investigators to proceed with a series of criminal charges. However, “no one is yet in custody or charged,” he said, promising more detail once arrests are made.
Guevarro also revealed two police-involved shootings linked to home invasions within 24 hours, including a fatal confrontation in the Central Division as he spoke. He urged citizens to report suspicious activity early — “If you see something, say something” — and issued a stark warning to armed offenders.
“Armed criminality will be met with firm and immediate police response,” he said, adding in colloquial terms: “Stay out of people’s house. It is not yours to go there.”